What Is A Court Order?


Failing to follow a court order is serious business. Family Court orders can cover any matter of family law topic from child custody and visitation to alimony and domestic violence. And if you have a family law agreement or court order, it can be enforced. This means you should be careful to follow the terms or requirements.

What Is A Court Order?

Ignoring or violating an order from the Family Court could land you in hot water. The other party can file paperwork claiming you are in contempt of court. If the judge agrees, you could face any number of penalties. This includes jail time.

There are two types of contempt: willful and nonwillful.

  • Willful contempt is found when the person owing a duty has the ability to comply with the court’s order but chooses not to.
  • Nonwillful contempt is found when the person owing a duty does not comply with the Court’s order due to extenuating circumstances that made it beyond his or her control.

In either situation, you will need a need a strong, competent attorney advocating for you. Pursuing a complaint against someone or defending yourself against contempt action can be a strenuous process. You need someone on your side you can depend on to help you weigh your options and choose the course of action that is right for you and your family.

Whether you need to bring an action against someone else for failing to follow the Court’s order or defend yourself against such an action, family law attorney Michael E. Bryant will help you protect your legal rights and get through the contempt issue, regardless of which side of the issue you’re on.